Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sangria, Part Deux

The other day some good friends of our offered to babysit. To celebrate this rare occasion, we went to Sangria to eat and I have a few factual updates for you.

Fist of all, my first review still stands.

We asked the waiter what they had remodeled since it looked pretty much the same inside. We were informed that the floors were redone (I remember carpet, now a mix of tile and wood... looks nice) and the kitchen had some much-needed renovations done.

Hubby also informs me that it is in fact NOT a chain but was started and run by some chefs who wanted to settle in the area. A husband-wife team, if I remember correctly. So that's cool since I am all about supporting local businesses.

Well, this time we had our favorite again, the Drunk Steak as well as an appetizer and a dessert. The appetizer we chose the Avocado rolls which turned out to be avocado pieces fried in wonton wrappers and covered with some sort of sweet relish. Drool.

Since Hubby's favorite feature of the Drunk Steak is the garnish of fried plantains, he got an extra side dish of them, complete with a peach compote salsa that sent him directly into bliss. For dessert we opted for the Banana Tahiti cheesecake which came to us meltingly warm and swimming in a dulce de leche sauce. As cheesecakes go it was good but not the best I have ever tasted. The sauce made up for whatever the cake lacked though.

On this trip our waiter didn't meet my expectations at all. She was brassy and kept coming to our table when I had my mouth full asking if I liked my food. Pardon me, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I run into it constantly in this one-horse town. If you go to someone's restaurant to eat their food you expect them to give you something edible. You should not need to be asked five times throughout the meal if you like it. In my opinion, a good waiter should be quietly available in case something is wrong that needs fixing but otherwise he or she should let patrons alone to enjoy their meal and conversation. It irritates me to no end to be interrupted in the middle of a sentence to my dinner partner with a "You like your food okay?" GRRRR. Just keep my water glass full, bring the next thing at the proper time and leave me alone to enjoy it.

OK, rant over. Other than Annoying Waitress Lady, our recent Sangria trip was quite pleasurable.

0 comments: